This turned out to be a delicious recipe. The red onion added a great contrast and crunch to the sandwich. We also used the new Black Bean Tostitos tortilla chips which added a great flavor to the chicken. Next time we make this dish I may use a combination of hot sauces – I found Tabasco to be slightly too vinegary for this recipe. Enjoy!
Recipe is courtesy of MyRecipes from Cooking Light.
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 Tbs cilantro fresh
1 tsp lime juice fresh
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup egg substitute (we used Egg Beaters)
3 Tbs hot sauce (we used Tobasco)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 1/2 oz baked tortilla chips (we used Black Bean Tostitos)
2 Tbs olive oil
Red onion slices
Lettuce leaves for sandwich (we used radicchio to add to some along with Boston)
1. Prepare mayo by combining the first four ingredients, chill until meal complete
2. Prepare chicken. Combine egg substitute, hot sauce, oregano and salt in zip-loc bag. Cut chicken breasts in half to form 4 cutlets and add to the bag. Refrigerate 2 hours.
3. Crush tortilla chips until ground. Place in shallow dish
4. Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Coat in the crushed chips and set aside. Repeat with all chicken.
5. Heat a large, nonstick skilled over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan. Add chicken and cook 3 minutes per side (or until done).
6. Spread mayo over cutlets, place on rolls with lettuce and red onion
Serving size = 1 sandwich
Fat: 13.2 g
Protein: 28.1 g