When we cook the same dinner two weeks in a row, you know we found something we love. This recipe for Asian turkey burgers is awesome. Bulgur acts as the binder in this dish as opposed to breadcrumbs and eggs – this cuts down on some unnecessary calories and adds additional nutrition. Along with bulgur, cilantro, ginger, garlic and scallions are combined to create the patty. A homemade, spicy spread created with yogurt and chili garlic sauce adds just the right amount of zip and the cucumber and red onion slaw provides great texture and crunch. Cooked on a grill pan for only a few minutes this meal is incredibly easy and filling. I’m sure you will enjoy.
Recipe adapted of Food Network
1/4 cup bulgur wheat (we have also substituted quinoa)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/4 seedless cucumber, sliced thin
1/4 of a red onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tsp chili, garlic sauce (found in the Asian food isle)
12 oz lean ground turkey
2 Tbs hoisin sauce
2 scallions, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 Tbs chopped, fresh cilantro
2 tsp vegetable oil
4 whole wheat hamburger rolls
1. Create the slaw. In a bowl combine the vinegar, sugar and generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Add cucumber and onion and toss. Marinate 30 minutes.
2. Cook the bulger according to package directions – ours said combine 1/2 cup of water with 1/4 bulgur. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover 15 minutes.
3. Create spread. Combine yogurt and chili garlic sauce. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
4. In a large bowl combine: bulgur, turkey, hoisin, scallions, ginger, garlic and cilantro. Form into four equal sized patties.
5. Heat a nonstick grill pan (or skillet) over medium heat. Lightly brush both sides of patty with oil and place in pan. Cook, turning only once – 3-4 minutes per size.
6. Drain the pickled vegetables and toss with extra cilantro if desired. Spread the yogurt sauce on the top and bottom of each bun and top with patties and cucumbers/onions.
Serves – 4 (does not include bun)
Calories – 186 g
Fat – 4 g
Protein – 18 g