Talk about quick, easy and low calorie – we found this recipe to have it all. The homemade blue cheese dressing is especially good. With a base of fat free yogurt and low-fat buttermilk it’s just as tasty but much healthier than store bought brands. For the hot sauce we used a combination – Frank’s Wing Sauce and Frank’s Thick Sauce. The hot sauce can easily be changed each time giving this dish a different flavor. I also shredded carrots using a peeler and cut the cucumbers very thin – this provided an added crunch and allowed you to get a little bit of everything in each bite.
Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tender strips
1/4 cup hot sauce
2 hearts of romaine (or mixed lettuce)
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
2 Tbs low fat mayonnaise
1/4 c low fat buttermilk
1/4 c plain, fat-free yogurt
1 Tbs white vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/3 c crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola
Salt and pepper
1. Ensure chicken is cut into slices thin enough for your salad. Put chicken in bag along with hot sauce to marinate 20 minutes at room temperature
2. Preheat broiler. Place chicken on baking sheet and put in broiler. Cook 4-6 minutes, turning once until cooked through.
3. In a large bowl combine the lettuce, carrots and cucumber
4. Service lettuce mixture with chicken and dressing
1. Fold a paper towel and place in small bowl. Spoon yogurt onto paper towel and allow to drain and thicken 20 minutes
2. In a medium bowl whisk the thickened yogurt, buttermilk and mayonnaise. Add the vinegar and sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in blue cheese crumbles.